Wednesday, May 22, 2013

DBT App... Let's give this a try

One thing I like to do to entertain my mind is browsing on Pinterest. It occurred to me that there may be BPD boards out there. Today I found a Pin for a DBT app. What a great idea! At my fingertips I could have skills that may help me get through a difficult time. And since my therapist told me that an opening for Dialectical Behavioral Therapy will not be available in their office until September... well, let's just say it left me feeling not very hopeful about getting through the next 4 months. Now, I'm not one that likes to spend money, so I wasn't sure that I could find a free app for DBT. Much to my surprise, there was one, DBT911. It does not have whole lessons, more of a short overview of the skills--a quick-list of simple things from each skill. It also has a random skill generator. This is brilliant. It will give you things to do to take your mind off of the current situation.

Some suggestions:
"List four things you see, three things you hear, and two things you feel the touch of."
"Go to the woods and scream out loud."
"Have a bath or take a shower."
"Saw down a board and smell the sawdust."
"Pick out a nice box and fill it with beautiful things or items with a special meaning to you."
"Start a pillow fight with someone else or the wall."

It gives me a sense of security that I have some help, even if it's just an app on my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment